i have never made chocolate mousse.
an article in this week's epicure
compared a number of (famous) versions of chocolate mousse,
with elizabeth david's receipe considered the winner.
and utterly fabulous.
Perfect Chocolate Mousse
60g 70% chocolate
2 medium eggs
2 tbsp castor sugar
1. Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl over, but not touching, a pan of simmering water. When the chocolate begins to melt, turn the heat off.
2. Separate the eggs.
3. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks, add the sugar and whisk again briefly.
4. Mix the egg yolks quickly into the melted chocolate and then whisk in a third of the egg white.
5. Fold the rest very gently into the mixture until just combined - be careful not to over mix.
6. Spoon into bowls and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until set.